Monday, August 12, 2013

Excuses Don't Burn Calories



Surprising isn't it?

Ever since I've been making such good progress on my weight loss and lifestyle change journey people have been asking how I've done it and what advice I can offer. I have absolutely zero issues offering help, advice or encouragement to anyone who wants it. Plenty of my readers contact me and I do my best to reply back immediately or with in a few hours. 
I like the contact and I like to help people. 

But I can only help people who want to help themselves.

You all know I don't sugar coat anything. 
No one needs to increase their chance of diabetes around here. 

A person I know from where I'm from, came to me for help a few months back, I was more than happy to oblige! So she began and that was all great. She was putting forth effort to exercise, but when it came to eating habits, she didn't want to budge. She wanted to continue to drink each night, indulge in fast food for every meal and she expected the weight to "fall off".  I explained about healthy choices and what good food can do for your body. You don't have to "give up" your favorite foods, you don't have to starve yourself, every thing is fine in moderation. Pay attention to the amount of the more unhealthy foods you eat and that will help you a lot. She contacted me again today saying how nothing is helping and she just can't do it, it's too hard, healthy food is too expensive, she can't afford good foods, working out is a hassle, there isn't enough time in the day to workout, workouts cut into her partying time, the list goes on and on. She asked how I mange to do it. I don't "manage" to do it, I make time to do it. I make my schedule fit. I work 40-50 hours a week, and i still have plenty of time to do food prep, cook healthy meals from scratch, workout for 45 minutes to a hour and a half each night, tend to my blog, watch TV, play with my puppy, and spend plenty of time with my husband. It is just all about making time for everything, not making excuses. I tried to help her, but she wasn't wanting to put forth the effort, she figured she could walk a mile or two a week and the weight was going to fall off overnight. 

You don't put your weight on overnight, so why would it come off overnight.

She has all the power in the world to do this, but until she is in the right mindset, then she won't be ready.

You have to fully invest in a change. If you want it to be permeant you have to do things to permanently change it. Slow and steady wins the race, if you go about this the right way and lose your weight slowly and steadily by making changes to you activity level and your diet then you are on the right path for losing weight and keeping it off.

Not to sound like a broken record but progress is progress, because no matter how fast you are going you are lapping every single person who is parked on the couch in front of the TV. Don't focus on the time its going to take you to meet your goals, regardless, the time will pass anyways.

Please don't have ridiculous expectations and out of this world hopes that 50 pounds will melt off in a month. Set little goals that are easy to achieve versus setting goals that seem really far out.

I know I drone on about this but it is so true. I preach to myself daily about these things, because no one is perfect.

Hell I re-read my own blog too. I need reminders,motivation and reality checks too.

What really pisses me off about excuses is the "eating healthy is too expensive". Are you freaking kidding me???

You can afford to eat take out three times a day, plus pop and candy bars for snacks and some ice cream at the end of the day, but you can't "afford" to go grocery shopping.

No. 
I don't think so.

You CAN afford it. If you WANT to do it.


My husband and I spend roughly $400 a month on groceries and we eat out maybe three times a month. And for us, eating out means subway or frozen yogurt.

 Oh the exciting life we lead. 

The money we spend on groceries is for our meals at home. Or  I make up food to take with us. 

There is no shame of taking your own food on trips to save money, time or calories. 

You CAN do this, if you ARE WILLING to do so.

"Whats your excuse?"

Now I'm going to leave you with this new yummy recipe I came up with. 

Clean and Lean Turkey Chili

1lb lean turkey burger
10oz tomato juice
3 sm/md roma tomatoes, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
2 whole green onions, chopped
1lb black beans, pre cooked 
1lb red beans, pre cooked
1 small sweet potato, chopped
Cumin
Paprika
1 TBSP olive oil

In a large pot over medium heat add oil and all the vegetables, stirring occasionally. In a separate skillet brown your turkey burger, drain. Add turkey burger to vegetables, stir in tomato juice. Let cook slowly over medium heat stirring occasionally for twenty minutes. Add seasoning to taste, let sit on burner with heat off. Serve away or let cool and freeze.

This is delicious, filling and hubby approved.

Even though it's summer this stuff hits the freaking spot.



I hope you all have a marvelous Monday!

As always,

-J



1 comment:

  1. I love this recipe - I just exchanged the ground turkey with ground deer. Its amazing

    ReplyDelete