Monday, January 26, 2015

She Blinded Me With Science


It really isn't I just love Weird Science and felt the need to reference it...

But anyways, Happy Monday!

As I'm writing this I'm stuffing my face with oatmeal with peanut butter, cinnamon toast crunch protein powder and honey and I have a huge day of eating ahead of me. I eat about every 2.5 hours and I consume between 1500-1700 calories a day.

DAMN.


Yeah that may sound like a lot and yes you are most likely going to catch me eating during the day. I keep everything in my Six Pack Bag, people will turn their heads at the cost, but I paid $70 for it over a year ago and literally use it each day I work or am traveling for the day and don't want to eat out. It has been a great investment. They always say you should invest the most money on items you use daily. Back to eating... so I eat a lot yes, but it is very good for you! You should be eating 5-6 small meals a day. I eat breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner, and a bedtime snack. This way your body stays full and your metabolism stays spiked. When it comes to how I eat I follow If It Fits Your Macros or IIFYM for short. Now I know it can be complicated and I know and have seen people struggling to figure it out and giving up when it goes tough, but don't!! It is a science almost, like a weird guesstimate and putting stuff together and then taking some away. I've been teaching my husband about it and it is rough and he has gotten frustrated. He has gotten mad, he has complained about tracking his food, but he has also lost 9.5lbs and when he found that out, suddenly the tracking and time wasn't that bad after all.


I know there are other out there who are having trouble getting your macros and the process down. So I thought today we would really get into that and I can help you make sure you have all the tools you need to do so.

First you have to get your macros, Macro Calculator at IIFYM is the one I used. Then head over to My Fitness Pal and go HERE to set your custom macros into your tracker. You can't always get them dead on but you can come close and that is what you are aiming for.

Now those are the basics of getting the macros and the way to track them. Now how many out there are going huh?? I was and still do sometimes! 

Check out this article By Micheal Matthews at Muscle for Life it totally helps you to be able to understand the what the how and why.

The other issue I have and I see others having is how to build meals.

I base each of my meals/snack with a protein source. This is important and easier than you think. 

Protein sources can include:
Egg Whites
Tofu
Chicken Breast
Lean Beef/Turkey 
Fish
Protein Powder
Cottage Cheese
Greek Yogurts
Turkey Pepperoni

Next add in your carbs, yes carbs are usually viewed as no no's but in the right amounts these are going to give you your sustainable energy for the day.
Complex Carbs can include:
Non Instant Oatmeal
Cream Of Wheat
Brown Rice
Quinoa 
Sweet Potatoes 
Black Beans
Green Beans
Whole Grain Bread
Corn Tortilla's

Most fruits and vegetables fall into the carb category so try not to go over board on them. While they can be low calorie and good for you they are all carbs. Just be mindful of them.

Do try to avoid certain cereals, pastries, most chips and crackers, white bread, sugary candy, and baked goods.

Last but not least is fats.
Good fats can come from:
nuts
seeds
pils
avocado


So and example of each meal for me and what I do is this:

Breakfast  - 2 pieces whole grain toast, 1 piece fat free cheese, 1 turkey sausage patty, 1/2 cup egg whites and a greek yogurt.

Protein Pancakes and scrambled egg whites


Snacks- Turkey Pepperoni and light string cheese

Greek Yogurt and sugar free chocolate chips

Quest Bar or other protein bar

Cottage cheese and grapefruit

Lunch/Dinners - 4-6 oz chicken or turkey, 1/2 cup cottage cheese, Brussels sprouts/asparagus/sweet potato or green beans and will follow with a yogurt.

Low carb tortilla with tomato paste, turkey pepperoni, fat free mozzarella, some veggies and a side salad with low fat dressing and some shredded chicken

whole wheat pasta with shredded chicken, fat free cottage cheese, low cal marinara sauce and a side salad 

corn taco shells with lots of shredded chicken, fat free re-fried beans and Campbells fiesta nacho cheese (no milk added) You can also use low carb tortillas and make a quesadilla.

Desserts - greek yogurt, chocolate chips, fat free cool whip, protein powder and peanut butter mixed together

That is my all time favorite dessert, based on my macros I have left I might leave out certain ingredients some days.


So here was a whole lotta information to throw at you this early on a Monday, but I really hope this will help you make the most of your calories and utilize flexible dieting!

Anything exciting happen this weekend or have coming up this week?
We were bored with out football to watch and it was super windy and rained a bit so we found ourselves doing random things around the house and being kinda lazy...

-J


  

3 comments:

  1. I wish I could eat cottage cheese lol. I've tried so many times and just can't. Thanks for the meal ideas! I'm getting back on the iifym train. I always shoot to be +/- 5 grams on my carbs, fat, protein. I spent my weekend coming up with a new game plan for my workouts and setting a bunch of mini goals. Cheers to a great week!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That oatmeal you had this morning sounds pretty dang tasty. Yum! :)

    Mandie ~ http://badbrewpack.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. IIFYM changed my life for the better! :D

    ReplyDelete